Daniel at Pam's Grotto

Daniel at Pam's Grotto
Daniel at Pam's Grotto

Thursday, June 3, 2010

3-27 My First Waterfall Hunt - Six Finger Falls

After I left Fallingwater Falls, I went downstream a few miles to another nice waterfall right next to the road.

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
It was getting late in the day, and a storm was coming from the west, so my light was getting better.  I was still learning my camera and playing with my aperture and shutter speeds.  (1 sec, f-16, ISO100)

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
I wanted to get a better feel for the movement of the water so I closed my aperture as far as it would go and got a longer shutter speed.  The water looks beautifully green.  (5 sec, f-25, ISO100)

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
 I wanted to get eye level with the top of the falls.  I sometimes wasn't paying attention to all of the parameters and my camera wasn't level for this one.  I shot this one with a quick shutter speed. (1/4 sec, f-11, ISO100)
Photograph of Six Finger Falls
I widened my zoom, which gave me more light through my lens, even though I had a tight aperture.  (2 sec, f-25, ISO100)

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
Another eye level shot.  I like the way the water and the rock create angles here. (1/4 sec, f-11, ISO100)

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
I wanted to get a sense of how far the foam was running out of the finger.  By this time it was sprinkling rain, so I ended up having to photoshop some spots out of my picture.(1.6 sec, f-25, ISO100)

Photograph of Six Finger Falls
I have been reading a lot about landscape photography and one of the tips I gleaned was to shoot from low angles and include foreground interest.  I did both on this one, but I think it may be too "busy".  I do like how the water comes around the corner and back in front of the rock. (1.3 sec, f-11, ISO100)
As you can see, at the end of March in the Ozark Mountains, there isn't much in the way of leaves on the trees.  I think that makes everything seem a little lifeless.  I may come back and redo some of these in black and white.

My last waterfall of the day was going to be Fuzzybutt Falls, but the stream was running too high, it was getting ready to start raining, and my butt hurt pretty bad from my fall at Kings Bluff Falls earlier in the day.  It was about 5:30 in the evening and I was getting tired.  I hadn't done that much physical activity in a while and I knew I would be sore in the morning.  That didn't matter, though, because I was hooked on hunting waterfalls!

1 comment:

  1. would you be willing to sell the rights to one of these pictures and it so how much. I would like to build a website using one of them as the header. You can get back to me at danvalarees@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete