Daniel at Pam's Grotto

Daniel at Pam's Grotto
Daniel at Pam's Grotto

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Little Bit About My Gear

My awesome wife gave me a digital SLR camera for my birthday a couple of years ago.  Little did she know how it would transform me.  :)

What I got was a Canon EOS Rebel XSCanon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)

With an EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 IIICanon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
And an Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ISCanon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens 

 So, of course I had to go out and get a camera bag: Canon Digital Rebel Kit with Case, 58mm UV Filter and LP-E5 Li-ion Battery for Canon XS
 Canon Digital Rebel Kit with Case, 58mm UV Filter and LP-E5 Li-ion Battery for Canon XS, XSi and T1i Digital SLR Cameras 

Soon I realized I would need a tripod: Dynex 53" Lightweight Digital Camera TripodDynex 53" Lightweight Digital Camera/Camcorder Tripod - DX-NW080 

I also added a UV FilterTiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter to protect my lenses (would you rather pay $12 for a new filter or several hundred for a new lens?)

That got me through the first year.  The next Christmas, I got a flash Promaster 7200EDFPromaster Promaster 7200EDF Digital Electronic Flash Canon EOS 

 and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens  Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens The f/1.8 aperture enables me to shoot in much lower light without using the flash.

With my old Minolta film SLR, which I got at a pawn shop for a heck of a price, had a Cokin Series ACokin CBP40052 P-Series Holder with 52mm Adapter Ring filter system with it.  That camera had been sitting in the closet for a long time, so I pulled it out and looked through the filters.  I discovered, much to my joy, that all I had to do was get an adapter ring that fit my new lenses and I could use all my old filters again!  I now have a bunch of filters for shooting portraits, and some other creative types of photography.

When I got started doing waterfall photography, I found out that having a circular polarizer was a must, so I purchased one for each lens' thread size.  I also purchased a neutral density filter and a graduated neutral density filter that would fit my Cokin Series A filter system.

That is what I have had in my camera bag since my second waterfall trip.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment